It was called then, the Observer’s Single-handed Trans Atlantic Race, or OSTAR of 1968; This was the event and year that Cheers was designed and built for and raced in. For sailors and spectators alike, this event, under various names, remains an exciting event. This page contains related links and if you find more, please let me know!
Official OSTAR website of the Royal Western Yacht Club – The U.K. side of the race, @020 is the 60th anniversary of the race and it starts in MAY! Follow the OSTAR and the TWOSTAR also on Facebook.
Newport Yacht Club – the U.S. side of the race.
WIKIPEDIA overview of individual OSTAR races
TRANSAT– the latest website of the race, once called the OSTAR
- Single Handed Transatlantic ’68, documentary (Rare! Newly uploaded 12/2016)
- TRANSAT 1968 Pathe’ report
- “The Pioneers/ Les Pionniers” VIDEO
- Le Prao Cheers – Victor Laurent
- History of Proa Cheers (in French)
- Newick Spirit– Golden Oldies 2013
- “Woody” Broun’s Saturday Sports report featuring Tom Follett 1968
- Tom Follett staring in an Accutron watch ad, 1968 or 1969
- Golden Oldies multi-hulls club FB
- Early multihulls of the 1960’s-les premiers multicoques dans les annees 60- VIDEO